Fire safety warning issued after dog accidentally turns on hob

fire safety warning after dog turns on hob

Fire safety warning from Worthing firefighters

Firefighters are urging residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their properties following a fire.

Crews from Worthing Fire Station responded to a fire at Castle Road in Tarring where smoke alarms had been taken down due to decorating within the property.

The fire is believed to have been started accidentally after a playful dog jumped up and switched the kitchen hob on, which had flammable items stored on top, while its owners were out. Luckily the dog escaped unharmed.

Worthing Station Manager Chris Bowles said: “We understand that there are times, particularly during renovations, when smoke alarms are unable to be attached to the ceiling. However, in these instances I would urge people to keep battery-operated alarms on each level of their property to detect a fire situation should one occur.

“Statistics show that you are four times more likely to die in a fire in the home if there is no working smoke alarm, so to say it’s a life-saving piece of equipment is no understatement. It is always a good idea to turn electrical items off at the switch when not in use too, especially when leaving the house, to avoid any accidents or electrical fires.”

In a fire situation, please always remember to get out, stay out and call 999.

If you have concerns around home fire safety, or are concerned for a family member or loved-one, you can complete our free online fire safety check to help spot fire risks around your home.

Advertisement

Contact your MP or Councillor

Read Sussex Local Online

Our Podcasts

West Sussex

WEST SUSSEX WEATHER

East Sussex

EAST SUSSEX WEATHER