Domestic Security

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]‘A man’s home is his castle’ is an often-quoted phrase which, in modern usage, gives us the right to deny intruders into our property. A lawyer may tell you that this is the essence of a judgement made by Sir Edward Coke during the seventeenth century.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]Since the judgement prohibits us from shooting common thieves, an industry has thrived selling the products to keep him at bay. The most obvious way to keep Mr Thief out is to shut doors and windows.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”1583″ img_size=”full” add_caption=”yes”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]You might be very surprised to hear how many times I am told ‘the key is under the pot by the front door’. Quite commonly doors are left open when children run out to play thereby presenting an invitation to the opportunist burglar.

These days replacement doors and windows have multi point locks, and in the most part these are secure, but cheaper designs of patio doors may allow easy access, and all doors should be deadlocked.

Older doors may be fitted with a ‘rim-lock’, commonly known as a ‘Yale’ lock. It pays to buy a high-quality branded device both to meet insurance company requirements and to give good security. Door bolts have been in use for hundreds of years but they can only be used from the inside. Mortice locksets with dead-locking are very effective. Brass ‘Chubb‘ keys are common, but keys to the very old mortice locks are ornate and are collectable items.

There are numerous electronic aids to security. If funds permit, an investment in a burglar alarm system is probably good value, but as ever in this day and age the choices are many and the technology can be complicated. A recent survey indicates that 60% of thieves said they would not break into a house where there was a burglar alarm in evidence.……. the other 40% would just beak a window, and be in and out with the loot in a minute or two!

Take specialist advice, set aside a budget and consider the advantages of one of the many self-installed wireless systems available.

Most importantly, if a burglar alarm is fitted, use it. After a while the act of alarming the house becomes normal and gives great peace of mind.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Chris Ennis FRICS is a Chartered Surveyor Tel: 01903 261217 email:[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]


No results

Contact your MP or Councillor

Read Sussex Local Online

Our Podcasts

West Sussex


East Sussex