Sussex Wildlife Trust’s 30 Days Wild Challenge
Join the thousand people currently taking on the 30 Days Wild challenge this June by signing up for a free pack.The sound of birdsong through a window, the excitement of seeing a butterfly, and the feeling of fresh air on your face are all small but mighty moments. Sussex Wildlife Trust invites people to enjoy these moments everyday in the month June to see how connecting to nature can benefit health and wellbeing.
Your one ‘wild’ activity a day can be anything you like – but they will provide you with inspiration along the way. This challenge is suitable for all ages, and they also have packs for schools, care homes and businesses.
30 Days Wild is an annual event from The Wildlife Trusts, with more than a million participants to date. A record 650,000 people took part in 2020 alone. People are invited to sign-up and try one ‘random act of wildness’ every day, for 30 days in June. Fans join a supportive online community for inspiration, practical advice and wildlife-watching tips.
In 2020, a five-year review of 30 Days Wild participants, run in conjunction with the University of Derby, found people reported they felt happier and healthier from taking part, with positive effects lasting for at least two months afterwards.
Top voted random acts of wildness in 2020
The Wildlife Trusts asked a 1,000 people who took part in 30 Days Wild in 2020 about their favourite random acts of wildness. The top 10 most popular activities were:
- Listening to birdsong came top – 88%
- Exercising outdoors – 81%
- Eating or drinking outdoors – 79%
- Identifying wildflowers – 77%
- Planting wildflower seeds – 71%
- Going on a bug hunt – 59%
- Hugging or admiring a tree – 58%
- Making a wildlife home (birdbox, bee hotel) – 49%
- Going barefoot on the grass or earth – 49%
- Sketching, drawing or painting nature – 47%
New for this year – a Big Wild Breakfast to kickstart the 30 Days Wild challenge on Tuesday 1st June. Participants are urged to celebrate the first day of their wild month with a Big Wild Breakfast and see how much wildlife they can spot in just 30 minutes.
What the 30 Days Wild digital pack includes
- a bundle of fun with a wallchart and 101 ideas to complete the challenge
- top technical tips from wildlife webcam experts
- advice on recording your breakfast bio-blitz
- a Big Wild Breakfast nature ‘bingo’ placemat
- wildlife guides, how-to guides, an online quiz event and much more
Join 30 Days Wild and get a digital pack of wild ideas. People also share their top tips and ideas via 30 Days Wild Facebook and Twitter.
Sign up for the challenge here: www.wildlifetrusts.org/30dayswild