Introducing Easebourne

Easebourne Priory Photo © Ben Gamble (cc-by-sa/2.0)

Easebourne is a village and civil parish in the Chichester District. It is just north of Midhurst, across the River Rother on the A272 and A286 roads.

St Mary, Easebourne Photo © Geoff Pick (cc-by-sa/2.0)
The White Horse on Easebourne Street St Mary, Easebourne Photo © Geoff Pick (cc-by-sa/2.0)

Key landmarks of Easebourne

The White Horse is the public house of Easebourne. Cowdray Park, to the east of the village, has a golf course, and is home to a first-class polo club. The parish church of St Mary is 13th century or earlier in origin. Adjacent to the polo grounds lie the ruins of the Tudor Cowdray House, built as a Tudor mansion with castle features. Started in 1520, it was completed by 1542, but was devastated by fire in 1793. It has not been occupied since.

Easebourne Priory was built for ten Augustinian canonesses and was founded before 1238 by the de Bohun family who were from St. Ann’s Hill in nearby Midhurst.

Anti-apartheid activist Helen Joseph was born in the village in 1905.

Easebourne is just one of the places covered by Sussex Local magazine delivered by hand, by local people, every month.

Advertisement

Contact your MP or Councillor

Read Sussex Local Online

Our Podcasts

West Sussex

WEST SUSSEX WEATHER

East Sussex

EAST SUSSEX WEATHER