Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust services
As we move into winter, NHS are looking for more volunteers to step forward and help support staff and patients in hospitals across Sussex. If you are empathetic and reliable, with an ability to listen and observe while showing initiative and attention to detail then they’d love for you to join their teams of volunteers at your local community hospital.
Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust (SCFT) is the main provider of community NHS health and care across Brighton and Hove, West Sussex and the High Weald, Lewes and Havens area of East Sussex.
They provide a wide range of services to more than 9,000 people every day, caring for people from their earliest moments to their last. They work in a variety of locations, including community hospitals, care homes, clinics, GP surgeries, schools and people’s own homes.
What volunteer ward helpers do
Volunteers play a huge part in supporting the delivery of care in hospitals. They are looking for people to join as volunteer ward helpers as they make a real difference to the care provided by the NHS, especially over the winter months when staff are at their busiest.
Patients’ wellbeing is of the utmost importance, and you will support their care through conversations, activities and games.
Most volunteering takes place seven days a week and shifts last two to three hours. They ask for a commitment of six months although there may be other opportunities to volunteer for a shorter period, subject to availability.
Attributes suited to Community Connect Volunteering
- Enjoy helping others and want to play a role in improving patient experience
- Want to give something back to the NHS after you or a family member have been treated here
- Want to contribute to your local community
- Want to use the role to demonstrate your existing skills and further your personal development
- Want to put to good use the skills and experience you have gained over your lifetime
- Are thinking about career choices and are thinking of joining the health and social care sector.
- Would like to build your confidence, learn new skills, and make new friends
NHS volunteer, Elaine, said: “Working with SCFT is extremely rewarding and can cover many interesting roles, I am an immensely proud member of the Trust.”
NHS Hospitals volunteer assistance is needed at
- Crawley Hospital
- Kleinwort Hospital, Haywards Heath
- Horsham Hospital
- Arundel and District Community Hospital
- Bognor Regis War Memorial Hospital
- Zachary Merton Hospital, Rustington
- Crowborough War Memorial Hospital
- Lewes Victoria Hospital
- Uckfield Community Hospital
- Brighton Intermediate Care Unit
To find out more about volunteering for Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust visit www.sussexcommunity.nhs.uk/work-with-us/volunteering or email: [email protected]
Phone: 01273 696011 ext.8388